North High Agrees To 4-Day School Weeks!

A School Calendar for the month of October is shown here as you see 3 Fridays are listed as ‘No School’.

Tytist Dean, Journalism I

After recent experience, the North High School administrators met to discuss potentially switching to a 4-day school week system for at least the remainder of the school year. On Monday, October 30th, 2017 North teachers met because they saw changes in the students with the 3 previous 4-day school weeks that had just past earlier in the month.

Two teacher workshop days and MEA break gave North students 3 out of 4 Fridays off in October. “We saw a more determined work ethic and focused mindset in our students during the 4-day weeks”, said one Spanish teacher at North.

She and other teachers seemed to to like their jobs were much more enjoyable when students were engaged and ready to learn.

“I don’t really know. Stuff just seems better and feels like it’ll be easier when I know that I have a Friday off in advance and everyone is saying, ‘It’s a shorter week'”, said John Doe of 11th grade.

It is believed that this mindset and level of effort comes from a psychological sense. Since students all across America are so used to and trained to a 5-day school week, researchers from New York, Chicago, and LA all believe that a 4-day week as a regular school week will improve grades, test scores, and school behavior because it gives a sense of relief.

North’s admin isn’t quite sure which day of the week that they’re looking to cut but Monday is looking favorable. “We believe that cutting Monday would be more of an intelligent decision because in high school lots of extracurricular activities take place on Friday’s and there’s always something going on that day for a majority of the time. Also considering, these are high schoolers that this plan is being created for, they tend to get in more trouble and do very dangerous things on Friday’s”, according to SomeSense News Channel. If schools that are proposing this plan like North St. Paul Senior high for example can have school in session on Fridays, they believe that violent and domestic acts would be more limited.

If all the factors are taken into consideration, there’s a possibility that schools will see greater academic success. It’s only a matter of time!

Editorial note: We encourage you to take this article with a grain of salt!