NHS CHEERLEADERS

NHS+CHEERLEADERS

Jennifer Lo, Contributing Writer

NHS has a new super-fan section: The cheerleaders. They’re right on the sidelines cheering our boy’s basketball team every home game. They are the first cheerleaders here at North. How did the team become a thing? They bring on the energy that the student section does not bring. They love being energetic and make sure everyone has fun at the basketball games.

Keyanna Wilburn, one of the cheer captains on varsity talks about why she wanted a cheerleading squad here “It would be a great opportunity to get school spirit involved in sports. Also, a new program can make people feel welcomed.” It certainly has made a new family here at North and makes people feel welcomed.

You might be wondering “Why do we need cheerleaders?” We do. Our current super fans section is non-existent. Our boy’s basketball made it to the second round of sections and top of the metro-east conference. The various tweets of the head coach love when people bring the energy to the game and the cheerleaders bring just that. They love getting everyone involved, even our north high band. They are the real super-fans of North high. The cheerleaders spend time every day after school practicing their cheers and stunts.

How did our beloved cheer team become a thing? Well, it wasn’t easy, 1000 signatures later we had a cheer team. “It felt pretty good. You feel apart of a family. It’s a good vibe being with girls you know you have something in common with.” But the athletic department had skepticism “they weren’t supportive at first because he didn’t know our coach. But eventually, they got on board with the idea.”

But what about the future of the team, their hopes and dreams for the team? “I hope that we can become a competitive team so we can go to competitions.” Maybe North high will have a competitive cheer team in the future? Maybe we can get more sports here at North and hopefully some scholarships.

While the boy’s basketball season comes to an end, so does the cheerleading season. Let’s not forget that they always bring on the school spirit and they love cheering with the student section/ band section. They love bringing the energy to the crowds; Make sure you help and cheer with them, they want to make sure that everyone at the game has fun and goes wild!