Senior Spotlight: Libby Haggerty

Libby Haggerty, Staff Writer

Hi! My name is Libby Haggerty and this is my Senior Spotlight. I have been writing for Polar Prints on and off for three years. Writing and editing of any kind are some of my greatest passions in life. In fact, I was the President of Writer’s Club for three years. I will be attending the University of Minnesota – Duluth in the fall to earn my degree in English. My dream job would be to use this degree to become an editor for a newsource or magazine.

You may have seen me cheerleading at one of North High’s basketball games in the lower gym. I became a cheerleader this year, making my senior year quite memorable. All my life, I have always wanted to be a cheerleader. My mother was actually a cheerleader for North High decades ago! I love supporting people and cheering others on. Naturally, cheer is in my blood.

Drama Club has also been a part of my life since my Freshman year. I have been in many productions including Grease, Footloose, and Shrek: The Musical. There were good times and bad times in Drama, just like any other extracurricular activity. Footloose was the highlight of my Drama career. Dancing within an ensemble, plus singing a song originally by Bonnie Tyler was amazing!

To any freshman or sophomore reading this, join College Possible! It made a huge difference in my ACT score and helped my transition into college life much easier. Kelly Ross, my College Possible, is the definition of a perfect human being. Her kindness, honesty, and understanding pushed me to dream big and believe in myself.

In a similar manner, my academics had the biggest impact on my life. I have made the “A” Honor Roll every trimester since the beginning of my career at John Glenn Middle School. I am determined to do my best no matter what because I know what I can accomplish. If you spot me at Graduation, you will see an honors cord around my neck.

Likewise, I have received many awards during my time at North High, however, none of them would have happened without the support from my family. Cathy and Brian Haggerty are legends for their volunteering, participation, and love of North High! My mother, especially, will take any and every opportunity to see me and help me without hesitation. She has been on every committee connected to my interests because her kindness knows no bounds. Likewise, my dad has no problem rushing over to school if I call him for help. He will do whatever is necessary to protect me and keep me safe. I am proud of my parents. They have always been there for me through thick and thin. When I am three hours away in Duluth, they will continue to be there for me.

To everyone who has taken the time to talk with me, read my articles, or aided me during my time at North High; thank you. All of my teachers and friends; thank you. It has been an interesting experience, to say the least. This will be my last article, my last piece of North High. Here is one of my favorite quotes, of which I live by,  from the live-action movie Cinderella, “Have courage and be kind.”