Fire drills at North High School

Addison Ellingboe, Journalism Student

At North High School they have to schedule the students and staff to do fire drills in we were to ever have the “real deal”, but how do we know fire drills actually help?

A fire drill is a method of practicing how a building would be evacuated in the event of it happening. They are made so that way it teaches people to leave the “burning” building in an orderly fashion so no one panics.

I spoke with student Kaiya Jacobson about what she thinks about fire drills at school. She thinks that it is a waste of time, she also adds “In a drill of course you are calm about it and will only go in a specific place and do specific things but in a real life situation that door you’re specifically supposed to go to could be blocked and also in a real life situation you are filled with fear and adrenaline. If they are going to do a fire drill they should go through more possibilities of what could happen. Because if they don’t, people won’t know what to do in that situation.”

I talked with a couple other students and one of them said he “only likes fire drills because of getting out of class.” He has wished to keep his name anonymous. I also spoke with Edwin Collins about his opinion on fire drills and he feels that “as high school students we already know how to exit the building properly and that we don’t need to have tons of fire drills to show us how to.”