Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month

Tylene Scott, Staff Reporter

From September 15th to October 15th  National Hispanic Heritage Month is a time out of our year when people celebrate the culture and history of people whose ancestors came from Spain, Mexico, the Caribbean, Central, and South America. National Hispanic Heritage Month started as Hispanic Heritage week in 1968. On August 17, 1988, it was expanded to National Hispanic Heritage Month to celebrate several Latin Countries gaining their independence. We have many students at North who take pride in their Hispanic heritage so it is important that we support them. Today Northern Highlights will share a few words from Latinx Club members which is a group here at North that is a place that provides space to appreciate many aspects of Hispanic culture. 

Northern Highlights asked a series of questions to members and they provided good answers to the following questions.

How can North be more culturally inclusive?  

• They listed a few things at North that should be taken into consideration. One is representing more cultures and making sure everyone is included. What they meant by that was it’s not right to represent one culture but forget about the others. Something else they suggested was more representation on social media.

What’s your favorite thing about your culture? 

• They told Northern Highlights that the sense of community that family, and friends have. Another thing that the members said was the food they love the seasonings, the variety, as well as the desserts.

How will you be celebrating National Hispanic Heritage Month?

• Members of the Latinx club said they would be celebrating with family and friends. Here at North, there have been decorations put up, and there will be a celebration held in the North cafeteria on October 12, 2022, from 3-5:30 pm for Día de la Raza. There will also be a Hispanic Heritage Spirit Week next week!!

Hopefully, this Northern Lights interview with help of the Latinx Club taught you something you maybe didn’t know. Have fun and embrace your heritage.