The Student News Site of North High School

NORTHERN HIGHLIGHTS

NORTHERN HIGHLIGHTS

NORTHERN HIGHLIGHTS

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Manhunt still in effect for Minneapolis murderer accidentally released

Kevin Mason, a Minneapolis murder suspect, was accidentally released from Indianapolis jail Sept. 13 due to officer error. Mason is now on the run.

Mason was accidentally released from an Indiana county jail September 13, 2023 due to faulty records and officer error. He is now on the run and a 24/7 manhunt is in effect. “This was an error, this should not have happened,” said Col. James Martin of Marion county sheriff’s department. Martin also said that they would not stop until Mason is found. 

Mason has been on the run since 2021 for the murder of Dontevious Catchings, along with other warrants, leading to him being arrested in Indiana. This has been going on since the thirteenth and people are worried that there could be a murderer in their area. During a press conference, Martin told the public that their reasoning for not saying anything sooner is because they wanted to gain a tactical advantage. This incident will probably be followed by stricter and stronger paperwork, and increased releasing security at the Indianapolis county jail. 

Since Mason’s release his girlfriend, Desiree Oliver, has been arrested. Oliver is charged with assisting a criminal since she was the one who picked Mason up from jail the day of his release and is suspected to know of his whereabouts. 

Update: Since the writing of this article, Mason was found in South St. Paul and rearrested.