The Student News Site of North High School

NORTHERN HIGHLIGHTS

NORTHERN HIGHLIGHTS

NORTHERN HIGHLIGHTS

Where did Jack-o-lanterns come from?

As Halloween approaches, many households are carving pumpkins, commonly known as Jack-O’-Lanterns. But have you ever wondered why we participate in this activity, and what it truly signifies?

The history of the Jack-O’- Lantern can be traced back to 19th-century Irish folk tales. These tales involved a known as Stingy Jack, a mischievous man who beat the devil on many occasions. After tricking the Devil too many times, he was not allowed to go to Heaven or Hell. His spirit was left to roam the earth, carrying a hollowed-out turnip holding a lit coal to lead him. This led to the Irish carving faces into turnips and potatoes to keep wandering spirits, including Stingy Jack, at bay. Stingy Jack became known as Jack of the Lantern, or Jack-O’-Lantern. 

This tradition of carving Jack-O’-Lanterns made its way to North America with Irish immigrants. Pumpkin carving was already a fall tradition in the United States, so turnips and potatoes were switched out for the larger pumpkins that were easier to carve. Now, these spooky pumpkins are used in Halloween decorations every year. Today, Jack-O-lanterns are the essential element in Halloween activities. People carve imaginative designs into pumpkins, light them up, and put them on their porches. Over the years, the purpose of pumpkin carving has shifted from guarding against spirits to a fun, creative, and essential tradition for the Halloween season.