The Student News Site of North High School

NORTHERN HIGHLIGHTS

NORTHERN HIGHLIGHTS

NORTHERN HIGHLIGHTS

Vaping is not a less-harmful alternative to cigarettes

What started as a tool to quit smoking has become a teen addiction

In recent years, vapi‎‎ng has become increasingly popular as an alternative to traditional smoking. While it is often promoted as a less-damaging choice, it is important to acknowledge that vaping carries  health risks that are only just starting to be understood. This article aims to shed light on the impacts of vaping that require our attention.

Respiratory Concerns:

Vaping involves inhaling vaporized substances which  contain harmful chemicals and toxins. Inhaling these chemicals can l‎ead to problems like lung inflammation and a condition called “popcorn lung.” Popcorn lung is caused by the inhalation of an chemical named diacetyl, which is hazardous to human lungs and usually found in e-cigarettes.

The long-term consequences of vaping are still unknown to us since it is a newer method of ingesting nicotine to traditional smoking. Researchers have been working hard to determine the consequences of vaping, and  research shows that there is a a connection between vaping and cardiovascular issues, along with  other types of health risks.

Fears about  a generation falling  victim to a nicotine addiction are raised by the increasing use of vaping among teenagers and young adults. Teenage nicotine addiction is on the rise due in part of the appeal of vaping devices from social media influencing and tempting flavors. 

Though vape pens have been advertised as an aid to help people quit smoking, vaping has evolved into a way for non-smokers, mostly young people, to experiment with nicotine. Unfortunately, it seems as though vapes have encouraged more people to try nicotine for the first time, instead of helping cigarette smokers quit. This raises questions regarding the health dangers that come with switching from vaping to regular smoking.