The Student News Site of North High School

NORTHERN HIGHLIGHTS

NORTHERN HIGHLIGHTS

NORTHERN HIGHLIGHTS

Celebrating Black History Month

Black History Month, celebrated every February, stands as a symbol of the contributions African Americans have made throughout history. The celebration is to highlight the often overlooked achievements and struggles African Americans have faced. 

Black History Month traces back to Carter G. Woodson, who established a history week. The week-long celebration was positioned in February to be a part of the birthdays of Abraham Lincoln and Fredrick Douglass. Who were a part in the fight against slavery.

The month serves as a period to spotlight the countless accomplishments of African Americans across many fields. Such as Civil Rights, science, Arts, and Politics. Inspirational figures like Martin Luther King Jr., Harriet Tubman, and countless others are highlighted and celebrated.

Black History Month is not just about celebrating achievements, it’s also a great teaching tool. It provides an opportunity to learn about the history of African Americans and the challenges they faced. The topics often include the Civil Rights Movement, the Harlem Renaissance, and the ongoing struggles against racism. 

This celebration is also is a celebration of culture. Part of Black History Month is to showcase the culture of the African American people. African American art, music, literature, and other traditions are highlighted during February so that people can understand just how influential and important Black cultures is in the United States. 

Black History Month recognizes the vital role African Americans have played in shaping our nation’s identity. It encourages an understanding of history, challenging stereotypes and prompting an accurate narrative. Recognizing Black History Month also serves as a reminder of the ongoing struggles against racism and inequality. It promotes conversations about the challenges African Americans faced and promotes the continued efforts towards justice and equality. 

In conclusion, Black History Month is celebrated to honor the legacy of African Americans, recognizing their contributions in society and their culture richness. It serves as an annual reminder to reflect on the past and the accomplishments that have happened.