The Student News Site of North High School

NORTHERN HIGHLIGHTS

NORTHERN HIGHLIGHTS

NORTHERN HIGHLIGHTS

Annual One-Acts take place in the North High Auditorium

Each year, the North High Drama Department rehearses two thirty-minute short plays, and then performs it for free for any friends, family, alumni, among others, who want to see two good shows with several talented actors and actresses. This year, one of the plays is called No Grimm Tales, which is directed by three devoted seniors, Mikayla Hesley, Izzy Lamb, and Jack Sonnek. The other play, Appropriate Audience Behavior, is directed by North High alumni, Jack Bonko and will be taken to a one-act competition at Spring Lake park on the 25th of January. 

Not So Grimm Tales is a parody to the classic fairy tales that we know and love. The story follows a mother who reintroduces various fairy tales to her daughter, such as Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, and Snow White in a modern, uplifting, as well as comical way! Appropriate Audience Behavior follows an audience during a performance of Hamlet who happens to have the most absurd excuses as to why they are being disruptive. Both of the plays were sure to make you laugh-out-loud! The one-act showcase took place on January 23rd, and received a higher attendance than they have had most of the years prior.

Junior Averie Hines sat down to do an interview with us about her experience. When asked how she was able to grow as a performer throughout this process, she told us “I have gotten more confident in myself and pushed myself further than I have in a long time. Normally I like to be a background performer, and am very insecure about my abilities, but I am proud of myself for opening up, being more receptive, and finding confidence in myself.”

We also asked Averie about what her highlight has been playing the roles she plays, to which she responded, “I love the announcer because I open the show, I get to yell, and even break a clipboard! It is a lot of fun and makes everybody laugh! I also play an old lady where I get to do some accent work. I am enjoying standing up there in front as I say my lines! For these parts, I had to memorize more than I have had to in the past, but I am having so much fun with all of it!”

While observing the one-acts, I was able to tell that the theater department is full of young, artistic minds who share a true passion for the stage and are constantly striving to be the best performers that they can be. Close bonds were formed throughout each production that is put on in the theater department. Last season was the final season that long-time director, Kevin Barnard directed a show before he retired. With that being said, Kevin still is very involved in the department, as he is doing costumes for both of the one-acts, and was honored with a plaque last November before a production of this year’s musical, Catch Me If You Can, for all of his years of service.