The Student News Site of North High School

NORTHERN HIGHLIGHTS

NORTHERN HIGHLIGHTS

NORTHERN HIGHLIGHTS

Inside the Air Force JROTC program

North’s junior reserve officer training corps provides students with unique opportunities

Air Force JROTC is a student-run program, focused on building character, and building strong leadership skills in the youth of today. SMSgt Wilkinson and Lt. Col. McBride instruct the cadets, along with students Iris Yang, the cadet squadron commander, and Julie Xiong, the Operations Officer. Students wear the Air Force uniform once a week, and do fitness work once a week in class. 

When Julie Xiong was asked about what she felt was the most important part of JROTC, she spoke fondly of a “A place to grow and develop ourselves while building our community through various different types of activities.” The students have opportunities to work on the general community to clean up, assist, and support.

In the fall, students have a chance to get to know each other better through activities like the Fall Round Up parade, where cadets marched while handing out candy. Students assist with activities like athletic events, along with setting up for many other events. Xiong also pointed out that JROTC has helped her find “a balance between our community and [Xiong’s] individual self.” Community service hours are awarded to cadets through these activities, and are able to earn ribbons through the hours. Cadets build stronger relationships and bonds with the people and towns they assist.

The instructor, Wilkinson commented that “The most important part of the program to me is the connection we all build in the program.” JROTC is almost completely run by the students. Students plan the events, run them, and even help with big events like the annual lock in. Students work together to plan these events, building the sense of community. Students get to see plans and work come together, and build a proper team, a full team of leaders.

Wilkinson notes that “The sense of being a family and belonging to a team is something every High School student should experience.” JROTC gives that to many students, along with building them up into strong leaders. “Building better citizens for America,” AF JROTC motto.