The Student News Site of North High School

NORTHERN HIGHLIGHTS

NORTHERN HIGHLIGHTS

NORTHERN HIGHLIGHTS

North BSU’s Trip to Atlanta

North High Black Student Union students traveled south to tour several HBCUs

Over this past week North Highs Black Student Union took a four-day trip to Atlanta to get a tour of some of the colleges there.

BSU is a group at North where African American students can go to bond and make connections with other African American students. North’s BSU has been planning this trip for months and the outcome of the trip was great.

During this trip they toured HBCUs and a few colleges in the Atlanta area. The students also toured the history of Martin Luther King Jr and the significance of Auburn Avenue, as well as visiting the High Museum of Art. 

One of the students who attended this trip was Aaron Byrd. He is a junior at North and has been a part of the BSU for going on two years. According to Byrd, they visited Clark Atlanta University, Georgia Tech, Spelman (females), Morehouse (males), and Emory University. Byrd was asked how his experience touring the schools and he followed up by saying “It was a pretty cool experience, it was nice seeing the different atmosphere of Atlanta colleges.”

Since the colleges they visited were far from his home in North Saint Paul I asked as a high school student who’s a few years away from college could you see yourself going to an HBCU or any school out of state he replied with “Yes I could definitely see myself attending a HBCU in Atlanta, it would be great to experience the history.”

To wrap things up I asked Byrd what college was his favorite by far from the visit and he told me “I feel like Clark was my favorite because I could feel the sense of community.” I also asked if he would recommend joining BSU to others and he said “Yeah it’s a pretty fun thing to do.”