Bullying at North High and How it’s Being Resolved

Ruby Davis-Nelson, Journalism I

It comes as no surprise to many students at North that kids are being bullied. This year, alone, numerous students have left the junior and senior class for other schools because of situations at North High School with other students.

Especially students of the junior class have been tormenting and vandalizing kids’ homes. Although its not happening at school what can be done about it? An interview with a counselor I had should help you figure out what to do if you feel as though you’re stuck and don’t know what to do.
“Bullies are intimidating by nature, but if something is going on that is affecting you, it is ALWAYS worth looking at your options..”, Mrs. Cosgrove is someone students can go to, to get these types of conflicts resolved. “..Meeting with your counselor individually can be a great place to start, and you get to decide what you want to do from there.”

Now, if you are a friend of someone who is being bullied or maybe just saw something you think you should definitely speak up. Cosgrove states, “Bystanders are always welcome to come in and talk about what is going on. Sometimes the victim is too intimidated to initiate contact with an adult about the situation, so that is very helpful.”

Another person you can trust is Ms. Davis, “Ms. Davis is a rock star who does mediations between students all the time. This is where the students work with Ms. Davis individually on what the problem is and how they can fix it, and then they come together and have that conversation with each other on how the problem can be solved.”

Ms. Cosgrove, Ms Davis and many others are there for you and are available whenever you need them.  These times can be tough but it’s important to remember that you can get help and although its hard now, it’ll get better over time.

Bullying is an issue at every school but it’s clear that there are cliques and groups at North High and that sort of  ganging up on one person can take a toll on anyone. Many of the students here know of someone or have been bullied at least once in high school. It’s not uncommon.

Just remember that you are not alone and you will get through this. Contact a school counselor, Ms. Davis or talk to someone you trust. You will get through this.