No Senior Slack For Chris Barber

Michelle Flores, Journalism I

January is known to be the time to register for classes, and almost every to-be-senior has to ask themselves, “Am I going to go full force no senior slack or am I going to kick it back and slack a bit?” This largely centers around a variety of AP and CIS courses that are available to only the senior class and the pretty dollar signs attached to them.

AP and CIS classes are very popular among hardworking student, saving themselves thousands of dollars down the road at a small fraction of the tuition per credit hour cost at a normal four year university to take the AP exam in May, but it doesn’t come easy.

AP and CIS classes involve a fair amount of college level reading assignments and rigorous writing assignments, granted it is a college course, it’s not a quick nor easy walk in the park which is the main reason why seniors have to ask themselves if they’re willing to put in the time to get either that passing grade or a qualifying score in May.

Some soon-to-be-seniors hesitate when January rolls around, taking majority, if not all, the time that’s given to register for classes; however, Chris Barber does not fall into that category. If you happen to know Barber, you surely know that when he wants something, he goes full force to get it.

Throughout high school, Barber has taken quite a few AP and CIS courses including some of the most hardest courses known to North High students: AP Chemistry and AP Biology. Students might find AP Chemistry and AP Biology to be something they’d never do, but Barber thinks otherwise. Barber shares,”Well, they are definitely not wrong with the challenging part, but I think that both are the exact opposite of boring… I really am fascinated with science, so I enjoy AP Chem and AP Bio.”

Many might wonder why no slack seniors, or any AP or CIS students, take such advanced courses due to the preconceptions they’ve already been exposed to. Barber reflects and shares,”I wanted to make my transition from senior year of high school to freshman year of college easier.” Both college students and teachers will tell you exactly what Barber is hinting at; AP courses will prepare you to take a college exam, and CIS courses will prepare you for college. AP and CIS courses have much to offer, but it does come with a price.

Barber is actively involved in Northern Lights Show Choir, National Honor Society, and North’s Theatre, but that’s only Barber’s extracurricular life. AP Calculus, CIS Intro to Literature, and AP Biology are the other half of what might keep Barber up late at night while saving Barber and his family big bucks down his road to a bachelor’s degree.

With all of the things that Barber is involved with, managing his time is essential due to the heavy reading assignments, essays, quizzes and tests, rehearsals, and so forth; Barber is always up and going.

Barber shares how he manages his time, “I make time after theatre/show choir rehearsals after 5 to find time for AP Bio, AP Calc, and CIS Lit. homework. Even if I don’t have all the time in the world, I need to make time if I want to be a successful senior year!”

Almost always the time that AP and CIS consume will always be worth the outcome down the road to college. No slack seniors’ schedules might seem completely outrageous to some, but to Barber it’s all worth it and would never regret not senior slacking.