The Truth About Seniors and College

Josie Borchert, Journalism I

There are many things on a seniors mind through their last year at North High. Things like football games. grades, dances, and of course college.

But why are seniors always talking about college?

What is the big deal about college anyways?

Many students are looking forward to the independence and the life-style college brings. However, as I sit down and talk to some of these seniors it isn’t all about the excitement of freedom. Many students are very terrified of the idea of college.

Alison Anderson is a senior at North High. She is excited for college and the new experiences it will bring. Although she is not looking forward to leaving her friends behind.

“I am very close with my friends, it will be strange to start over.” Alison will most likely be going to college out of state because all the schools that she is interested in are not in Minnesota.

Anderson is auditioning for a music, dance program. She tells me that the thing that scares her most is not “knowing if i’m going into the right thing or not.”

If she doesn’t go into music and theater she would most likely go into in something with communications and broad casting like being a news anchor.

College is a completely different world than high school. Some students decide to continue with a sport while others decide they want a fresh start. Anderson says that she will be auditioning for “similar programs” and that she will be “continuing musical theater and vocal studies.”

There are some students who however, are overjoyed about leaving high school and entering college. Although even even students are excited to leave there is still at least one thing they will miss about North High.

The thing Teddy Drake will miss the most is the respect and trust he has earned from his teachers. He has earned a name for himself over his four years at North High. Drake will be heading out of state as well. He wants to see new places and experience new things.

Although he did tell me that “I am most scared of paying for college, especially since I will be going out of state.” In college Teddy Drake will be participating in some of the same clubs as he did in high school. “I want to play club hockey.”

He also will be studying business and film. Which is where his DECA skills from high school will help him out. A new thing that Teddy wants to experience though is joining a frat.

When it comes to most seniors at North High a part of them will miss this school and the connections they have made with people. However, they are ready for the new adventure that college will bring.