2018 North High Athena Award Winner

Kelly McKane is all smiles after winning the Athena Award

Salena Jeanson, Contributing Writer

Kellie McKane is all smiles after winning the Athena Award!

The 2018 top female student-athlete Athena award winner has been chosen. Allow me to introduce to you, Kellie McKane. Kellie is a senior multi-sport athlete at North High School. She plays varsity basketball and softball.

The Athena Award was named after the Athena, the goddess of wisdom and skill. Kellie has demonstrated both attributes as she is the captain of the basketball team for the second year and softball for her first year, all while maintaining a 4.08 GPA.

2018 Varsity softball captain.

The schools activities office allows the coach of each sport to nominate one female athlete. Then the top six nominees are picked and the coaches and the staff will vote to narrow it down to one.

2018 Varsity basketball starter.

The coaches have taken notice of Kellies exceptional athletic and academic record. Kellie was formally nominated by her basketball coach, who she has played for all four years. The others agreed with coach Ashlie Anzel, as she was voted the Athena Award winner.

When McKane was told that she was the winner, her family was very proud of her. They commented about how all her hard work is paying off. She received a card in the mail from her seventh grade teacher congratulating her. She even had a grade school teacher post a comment on social media recognizing her.

As a winner of this prestigious award, McKane will be attending a banquet in April along with the other award recipients. Talk about a “slam dunk” ending to your high school career.